This course in technical mathematics covers topics in algebra and geometry. Topics include: functions and their graphs, trigonometry, base conversion, logarithms, and binary sequences. A brief review of numbers and basic algebra will lead to a further and more detailed exploration of the aforementioned topics.
Goals and Objectives
- To develop the mathematical foundation necessary for continued study in the field of telecommunications.
- To understand the role played by the order of operations and several formulas in simplifying algebraic expressions and solving equations.
- To learn how to use base conversions for different numeration systems.
- To apply the appropriate technique for solving various classes of algebraic equations.
- To identify, graph and perform calculations with various types of functions (polynomial, trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential).
- To incorporate practical applications of fundamental geometric and trigonometric concepts into everyday working knowledge.
- To experiment with various software aids (such as Microsoft Excel) in solving problems.
- To visualize concepts and reflect on their meaning.
- To approach problems in a systematic, logical way, with enhanced critical thinking abilities.
- To seek personal relevance and application of the acquired knowledge.
TS090C Academic Skills Seminar