Credits : 4
This course in technical mathematics covers topics in algebra and geometry. Topics include: functions and their graphs, trigonometry, base conversion, logarithms, and binary sequences. A brief review of numbers and basic algebra will lead to a further and more detailed exploration of the aforementioned topics.
Goals and Objectives
- To develop the mathematical foundation necessary for continued study in the field of telecommunications.
- To understand the role played by the order of operations and several formulas in simplifying algebraic expressions and solving equations.
- To learn how to use base conversions for different numeration systems.
- To apply the appropriate technique for solving various classes of algebraic equations.
- To identify, graph and perform calculations with various types of functions (polynomial, trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential).
- To incorporate practical applications of fundamental geometric and trigonometric concepts into everyday working knowledge.
- To experiment with various software aids (such as Microsoft Excel) in solving problems.
- To visualize concepts and reflect on their meaning.
- To approach problems in a systematic, logical way, with enhanced critical thinking abilities.
- To seek personal relevance and application of the acquired knowledge.
TS090C Academic Skills Seminar
||Chapters 1 & 2: Review of the Decimal Numeration System; Powers of Ten
||Week 1 Final Quiz
||Chapters 2 & 3: Units and Prefixes
||Week 2 Final Quiz
||Chapter 24: Computer Number Systems
||Week 3 Final Quiz
||Chapter 5: Algebraic Terms: Roots and Powers
Chapter 13: Graphing
|Week 4 Final Quiz
||Chapters 4 & 6: Fractions, Decimals, and Percents, Algebraic Fractions
||Week 5 Final Quiz
||Chapter 7: Linear Equations; Midterm Exam Review
||Proctored Midterm Exam
||Chapters 8 & 9: Factoring and Fractional Equations
||Week 7 Final Quiz
||Chapter 16: The Right Triangle
||Week 8 Final Quiz
||Chapter 17: AC Fundamentals
||Week 9 Final Quiz
||Chapters 21 & 22: Logarithms
||Week 10 Final Quiz
||Chapter 25: Boolean Algebra
||Week 11 Final Quiz
||Final Exam Review
||Proctored Final Exam
will be two proctored examinations in this course.
that this course requires a proctor. Specific details are provided
under the COURSE INFORMATION section in each Blackboard course.
You can read more about the proctoring program and steps needed to obtain an
approved proctor by clicking on this link: Proctoring Program.